Sunday, March 1, 2015

Crock Pot BBQ Chicken Thighs

We love going to Disneyland.

We always stay later than we planned and we end up getting fast food and I, at least, feel guilty and ill for a few days.  I really don't like fast food, but it has a key word: fast.

So, yesterday, I had a bad day for both energy and pain.  Still, I wanted to do something.  That is one thing I really like about having this blog: It forces me to make something every day so I can share it with you.  If it works, if it doesn't work, if it's tasty, etc.  I took an hour nap after our bout of breakfast and errands (my breakfast was an omelette with bacon, avocado, and a light amount of cheese with cottage cheese on the side.  And it was delicious.  I love Omelette & Waffle Shop).

Anyway.  I convinced the husbeast to set up a crock pot of chicken thighs, since that was one of the items we'd gone out to purchase, and let me make BBQ Chicken.  He agreed and I began searching for my favorite BBQ recipe (which I can never remember where to find).  I went for my tomato paste and realized I had none.  What to do, what to do!  I searched for an Auto-Immune Protocol recipe, to see if one existed.  I was not let down!

Kaiku Lifestyle offered a wonderful recipe for a pumpkin-based BBQ Sauce.  I keep pumpkin puree on hand because I really like Pumpkin Chili (I do mine in a crock pot); so, I grabbed that can and went to town.

In Kaiku's recipe, she requires a cup of puree and things like maple syrup (which should be Grade B), and molasses.  I like neither of those things very well.  So, I made some substitutions.  I'm terrible at taking pictures while I'm cooking and I'm quite chaotic in my cooking; plus, yesterday, I needed a set of functioning hands.  Mine were not.  So, with the help of my husbeast, here's what we did!

Crock Pot Paleo BBQ Chicken (AIP friendly)

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Makes about 2 cups

Paleo BBQ Chicken, Collards, and
Peas & Carrots

Ingredients

1-2T coconut oil
3-ish T minced garlic (I love garlic, so I just eye-ball my garlic)
6T apple cider vinegar
2T basalmic vinegar
1/3c  blue agave nectar (dark)
2T coconut aminos
2tsp salt
2c (1 15.3oz can) pure pumpkin puree
2T ginger powder (or 2tsp grated ginger)
1.5lbs chicken thighs

Instructions

1.  Heat your coconut oil over medium heat in a saucepan.
2.  Saute your garlic, taking care not to burn it.  If you're using fresh ginger, add it with the garlic.
3.  Add your liquids.  This will help keep the garlic from burning.  
4.  Add your pumpkin puree, salt, and ginger powder and combine til everything is a lovely dark orange color (and all the ingredients are combined).
5.  Remove from heat and blend with an immersion blender or a regular blender to smooth it a bit.
6.  Put it into the crock pot and add your chicken.  Set crock to low and go have fun for a few hours.  Ours cooked for 6 hours.

We removed as much of the chicken as we could and bottled up the rest of the sauce to use on some pork chops.

Also, canned and frozen veggies are your friends.  We served the chicken up with peas & carrots with added pepper, and canned collard greens with added sea salt, butter, and garlic.  Everything was delicious!  If you do use canned veggies, make sure they either have no added salt or are low in salt.

Have a tasty day!


No comments:

Post a Comment