Monday, March 2, 2015

Turkey Scotch Eggs

I absolutely love Scotch Eggs.  The first time I made them, I used Melissa Joulwan's (author of Well Fed) recipe.  I had just started on the Paleo path and her site was such an inspiration and help to me.  That was when I was lifting 3 days a week and running 3 days a week.  I was pretty badass!

I remember a recipe that I thought was on her site for homemade turkey sausage links.  When I searched, however, I came up empty.  Perhaps it was there, but is now in her book.  I'm not sure.  I should see if there are Kindle versions of her book; I just like supporting the actual author, when possible (NOTE: I don't get anything for sending you to her site or store.  I just genuinely believe in her stuff).  Anyway, I couldn't find the recipe I was looking for.

So, I made my own.

I will need to update this post when I make a larger-than-4 batch of eggs.  I measured absolutely nothing.  Yep, I'm one of those people.  I just shake a spice shaker over the food til I get tired of the colour and go from there.  I'm very bad at this.  Hence why I'm doing a blog.  Maybe I'll get better at photos, too...

The initial batch turned out okay.  I should have used a bit more salt and probably should have sauteed the fennel bulb before throwing it in.  And added garlic.  I'll very likely look up some other sausage recipes to see how people spice their sausage to come up with something a little more flavourful, but, for now, this is what I have.

Turkey Scotch Eggs
Mine sorta didn't stick together.  Next batch will be better!

Ingredients

4 eggs, hard boiled, mollet, or baked (I used baked)
1lb ground turkey
1/4 fennel bulb & stem
1tsp salt
1T. "Italian Seasoning"
1tsp Tumeric (This was for me.  I'm supposed to take tumeric twice a day to supplement my immune system.  You may leave it out, if you wish)
1tsp Black Pepper

Instructions

1. If you're going to bake your eggs, pre-heat your oven to 320* F, place your eggs in mini muffin tins, then put them in the oven for 30 minutes.  Make sure your oven is completely pre-heated.

2. Sit down and rest.
3. Once your eggs are finished, set the temperature to 375* F.

4. Dice the fennel.  Use both parts of it for maximum flavour!

5. Heat a skillet over medium and add about 1 T of coconut oil to saute the bulb part of the fennel (I didn't do that this time, but I plan to in the future).

6. Mix the turkey with all the spices and the fennel.

7. Divide the turkey mixture into four even balls or lumps or patties.  Turkey isn't known for holding together too well, so you're going to put it in the fridge for about 15-20 minutes.  If you're not pre-heating your oven to 375* F yet, now is a good time to start!  

8. Sit down and rest.  Cool off, if you need to.

9. Line a baking sheet with tin foil or parchment paper (I have a gas oven; parchment paper makes me nervous).

10. Peel your eggs and form a relatively even ball of meat around it, making sure to seal any cracks and place them on a baking sheet.

11. Bake for 25 minutes.

If you're looking for something quick, this is not it.  If you're looking for something healthy, this is a good option.  This is something that can also be batched and keep in the fridge for two weeks (I think; we've never had them go longer than a day or two).  I probably would not make more than 12 at a time, which would yield 6 servings (unless you don't eat a lot; then 12 servings).  These are good for a high-protein breakfast, lunch, or snack.  Have them with a side salad or by themselves.  They're quite tasty and not extremely heavy.  

No comments:

Post a Comment